Nature's Happiness proudly supplies premium quality, whole food, organic, and natural supplements.
10 Natural Hangover Remedies That Really Work!
The New Year is just around the corner, and everyone is getting ready for a great party to end this year, or start out the next. You may have even started a list of your New Years resolutions. Unfortunately, a lot of us will spend the first day of the new year in bed feeling sick, tired and hungover. You may be tempted to reach for pain killers and try to go about your day. But don’t, we have 10 natural hangover remedies that really work. Giving your body a natural alternative to detox the alcohol is a much better idea. Pain killers can temporarily take a headache away, but they can also lower your immune system and hurt your liver even more.
If you aren’t planning on drinking way too much anytime soon, continue reading. These 10 natural hangover remedies that really work, can help to cure a “hangover” from exercise, sickness, cleansing, detoxification, and even from travel.
1. Water – Pure, clean, spring water is the number one best thing you can do to replenish and cleanse your body after a crazy night of partying, drinking too much, or eating processed foods. I know what you are thinking, “I always drink water the next day, and it never helps!”. Well, you most likely aren’t drinking enough of it, or the right kind. Do not drink tap water. Tap water contains harmful toxins and chemicals. If you aren’t equipped with a water purifier, then plan ahead and make sure you have plenty of clean water available for the day after. Plenty of water, especially upon waking, along with a couple of other natural remedies, will surely do the trick!
2. Warm Lemon Water + Vitamin C – Organic lemon juice, pure clean water, and natural Vitamin C powder is a great tasting and very powerful combination to drink right when you wake up the next day. Or better yet, drink it before you go to bed as well. Warm lemon water has hundreds of benefits for the body, and many health experts suggest drinking this incredible “tea” every morning upon waking. Lemons are high in Vitamin C, and very nutrient-rich. Lemons also have medicinal values and antibacterial properties.
Warm lemon water is the perfect drink for aiding the digestive system, eliminating toxins and waste products from the body. It will also rejuvenate your skin, balance your pH levels, boost your immune system, reduce pain and inflammation, and nourish your brain and nerve cells.
Adding in a good quality natural Vitamin C powder, will only boost the effectiveness of the warm lemon water. Vitamin C plays a very important role in the immune system function, particularly in enhancing the white blood cell activity.
2. Banana + Honey Smoothie – Bananas and creamy raw honey are perfect to fight a hangover, according to Anthony Hill, author of the book Hangover Survival Guide. Bananas are full of sugar, Vitamin B6, potassium, and magnesium. Potassium helps aches and pains in the body, helps relieve an upset stomach and fights heartburn as well. The honey helps to digest and detox the alcohol and replenish lost electrolytes and fructose. To make the smoothie in the picture at the top of this post, simply blend 3 ripe bananas, 1 tsp. turmeric, 1 cup water, and 1 Tbsp. honey.
3. Honey – Pure raw honey all on it’s own is a great natural remedy for hangover and overall health. Honey is packed with fructose, which replenishes the sugars that are lost in the course of alcohol metabolism. Did you know? When the body tries to metabolize alcohol it loses fructose – causing a drop in your blood sugar levels, which is one of the main reasons for a hangover. Honey also helps in quicker digestion and release of alcohol from the body. Try a couple of tablespoons of honey on its own or mixed into warm water for better absorption.
4. Mint – Peppermint pure esssential oil is great for relieving an upset stomach. Peppermint can keep nausea at bay, enabling you to try a few more natural remedies if needed. The aroma itself and be refreshing and invigorating. Peppermint is calming, rejuvenating and can help reduce fatigue. Peppermint contains numerous minerals and nutrients, it can reduce body pain and aches, treat indigestion, nausea, fever,and stomach and bowl spasms. Click here to purchase peppermint essential oil, or try this spearmint lavender body mist.
5. Supplement – Additive-free and natural supplements are important in reducing a hangover. Alcohol strips are body of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Be sure to choose supplements that are free of fillers, binders, flow agents, toxins, chemicals, aka B.S.! Some of our favorites and the most essential supplements are a Vitamin B Complex, Warrior Endurance, Liver Rescue,Probiotics, Magnesium, and a good Multi-Vitamin.
6. Yerba Mate – Organic, fair-trade yerba mate is a great alternative to coffee during a hangover. A little bit of caffeine can boost our energy levels, moral, and uplift negative emotions. However, too much caffeine at once can be overwhelming for your body, which can promote nausea and upset stomach. Yerba mate and yerba mate blends taste incredible with a little bit of almond milk and honey, and they are actually good for you! Yerba mate contains around 200 active chemical compounds including numerous minerals and vitamins, and 15 amino acids. Yerma Mate contains natural stimulants xanthine’s, theorbromine, and theophyline. These natural stimulants don’t have any side effects like jitters, upset stomach, and stress or anxiety. Learn more about yerba mate and purchase yours here.
7. Fruit + Vegetable Juice – Fresh raw organic fruit and vegetable juice is important in reducing hangover symptoms as well as boosting the immune system and energy levels. Drinking fresh juice is like having a daily multi vitamin & mineral supplement. There’s no fiber in fresh juice, so your body won’t have to digest it, meaning it will be highly absorbable and make you feel great!
8. Coconut Water – Fresh coconut water or coconut water powder is a great addition to your natural hangover remedies. Coconut water has been enjoyed traditionally for thousands of years in tropical cultures around the world, and can now be found in some grocery stores and health food stores. It contains 5 key electrolytes: sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus, known to support hydration rapidly, makes coconut water a great alternative to sports drinks. It’s also rich in many vitamins and minerals such as iron and manganese. So, make a quick stop by the grocery store for some yummy coconut water or try coconut water powder instead.
9. Turmeric – Turmeric has incredible anti-inflammatory properties and is a great all natural pain killer. Turmeric is rich in many essential vitamins such as pyridoxine, choline, niacin, riboflavin and more. Also, good amounts of minerals like calcium, potassium, copper, iron, manganese, magnesium and zinc. Turmeric has so many health benefits and can be used as a natural liver detoxifier, aids in weight management, natural anti-inflammatory and pain killer, and it also has anti-depressant and anti-microbial properties.Learn more about turmeric powder here.
10. Extra Sleep – Good sleep has so many healthful benefits and it’s crucial that you get enough of it when you are hungover. Sleep aids in recovery and detoxification, and can also strengthen your immune system. Lack of sleep can get in the way of detoxifying alcohol from the body. Try a couple of the remedies above and then be sure to get some Zzzz’s!
Sources for this article: http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/9-natural-hangover-remedies-that-really-work-pa1214